Independent Japan by Train, Bike and Foot
Ron & Kathy Kelemen
In May 2018 Ron and Kathy travelled independently for 10 days and then joined a Sierra Club hiking trip. Here are their TIPS:
- Bring a mobile hotspot. We use a Tepi Intl hotspot.
- Use Maps.me. It works offline if you download the country maps
- Make a folder with printouts of all your reservations.
- Lonely Planet- be sure to read up on customs!
- Ask for help - you WILL get it!
- Eat what's on your plate(s). You'll live to tell about it and actually will enjoy it.
- Take advantage of the Railway Travel offices in train stations.
- 9:01 means exactly 9:01
- Forget about tipping
- Take walking sticks if you plan to hike
- Use a mix of both Yen and credit cards- many places didn't take cards
- Walkjapan.com has excellent walking trips- we used their guides on the Sierra Club Trip
- Remember to bow